Wednesday 23 January 2008

More Heineken cup rugby at the weekend.

I was pleased to see Gloucester, Saracens and London Irish to going through to represent the English clubs. I am not sure how far they will manage to go in the rest of the competition however. I was surprised to see Wasps collapsed to Munster, I really thought they would put up a better show in that game. They were missing however the likes of Flutey and Sackey how have been instrumental in game plan so far this year. Flutey has been involved in some of their best moves of the season and it could be seen what a loss it was not have him playing.

Although Leicester were already out of the cup I was pleased to see put on a good performance and stop Lenister progressing in the competition. Leicester seem to play much better with Rabeni in the centre than with Ollie Smith. I think Ollie is a great play and will continue to improve, but so is Rabeni and he has the confidence and experience we need in the big Heineken cup games. I haven’t seen Tuilagi play for a while, and can’t find any news on him on the internet either. Is he injured or just out of favour?

The Heineken Cup and Challenge Cup games really get the excitement warmed up for the 6 nations. I have got a ticket to the England V Wales game on the 2nd February. I am hoping for another record win just like before the world cup. Be very interesting to see who is picked for both teams and how Warren Gatland shapes and manages his new team. No surprise that Gareth Thomas hasn’t been picked for Wales. He may be a great playe but he seems to be the a disruptive influence and main reason behind Welsh sides slip from Grand Slam Champions to continual wooden spoon prospects.

No comments: